Monday, February 21, 2005

Hunter S. Thompson - 1937-2005

What a kick in the head that was to wake up this morning and read the news.

"My life has been the polar opposite of safe, but I am proud of it and so is my son, and that is good enough for me. I would do it all over again without changing the beat, although I have never recommended it to others. That would be cruel and irresponsible and wrong, I think, and I am none of those things.

"Whoops, that's it, folks. We are out of time. Sorry. Mahalo." - from Hunter S. Thompson's introduction to Kingdom of Fear: Loathsome Secrets of a Star-Crossed Child in the Final Days of the American Century (2003).

Incidentally, the NY Times is reporting Thompson's birth as 1939, so far the only media outlet to do so. Either every other journalist screwed up or the Times will be running a correction. Still, the paper has an excellent package of articles, including reviews, photos, a book excerpt and an interview, up at: http://www.nytimes.com/indexes/2005/02/21/books/authors/index.html?8dpc (Registration required).

Let's hope Thompson is somewhere around heaven when the drugs start to take hold....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home